Upcoming Elections 2017
SATURDAY, MAY 6, 2017
The Offices up for election are:
City Commissioner At-Large B (City wide)
City Commissioner District 3 (Candidate must live within the District)
City Commissioner District 4 (Candidate must live within the District)
Interested in being a candidate for the upcoming Election?
City Secretary’s Office will not accept applications earlier than January 18, 2017 and no later than February 17, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. All applications must be physically filed with the City Secretary Office located in City Plaza – first floor – 1034 E. Levee St.
See Candidate Packet section for the instructions/forms.
Please continue to check our Website regularly for Updates.
For more information contact the City Secretary’s Office at 956-548-6042.
Click on file name to View/Download
- 1- 2017Election Calendar-PDF
- 2- 2017 Filing Schedule (Uniform)-PDF
- 3- Form_CTA_- Instruction_Guide_-_Appointment_of_a_Campaign_Treasurer_by_a_Candidate-PDF
- 4- FormCTA-Appointment_of_a_Campaign_Treasurer_by_a_Candidate-PDF
- 5- Application for a place on ballot-PDF
- 6- Pettition for a place on the ballot-PDF
- 7- Texas Ethics Commision Finance Guide-PDF
- 8- Form COH - Instruction Guide - Candidate Office Holder Campaign Finance Report-PDF
- 9- Form COH - Candidate Office Holder Campaign Finance Report-PDF
- 10- Form PFS - Instruction Guide - Personal Finance Statement-PDF
- 11- Form PFS - Personal Finance Statement-PDF
- 12- Form CIS - Conflicts Disclosure Statement-PDF
- 13- Form ACTA - Instruction Guide - Amendment Appointment of a Campaing Treasurer-PDF
- 14- Form ACTA -Amendment Campaign Treasurer-PDF
- 15-Texas Ethics Commission Title 15 Election Code-PDF
- 16- Fair Campaign Practices Act-PDF
- 17- Form COR-C-OH - Correction Affidavit for Candidate and Officeholder-PDF
- 18- Form CFCP - Code of Fair Campaign Practices Form-PDF
- 19- Form C-OH-UC - Guide - Candidate and Officeholder Report of Unexpended Contributions-PDF
- 20- Form C-OH-UC - Candidate and Officeholder Unexpended Contributions-PDF
- 21- Certificate of Withdrawal-PDF
- 22- Information on Political Advertising-PDF
- 23- City of Brownsville Ordinance on Political Signs-PDF
- 24- City of Brownsville Charter-PDF
- 25- Poll Watchers Guide-PDF
- 26- Appointment of poll watcher-PDF
Elections – Candidate Qualifications for City Commission
Election Code Sec. 141.001(a)
- MUST be a citizen of the United States.
- MUST be at least 18 years old.
- MUST be a qualified voter of the City of Brownsville, Texas by the last day of the Application period.
- MUST NOT have been determined mentally incapacitated by a final judgment of a court.
- MUST NOT have been finally convicted of a felony (unless pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities).
- MUST have lived in Texas continuously for one year.
- MUST have lived in Brownsville, Texas continuously for at least one year.
- MUST have lived in the District he or she hopes to represent at least six months prior to filing his or her application for election and must continue to do so during his or her term of office. (*)
(*) - If your area was annexed into the City, you MUST have lived at your residence six months prior to annexation.
NOTICE TO THE PUBLIC:
As provided by state law, the Office of the City Secretary is the appropriate filing authority for various campaign-related forms required by law to be filed by a candidate for a City of Brownsville elected office.
By law, the City Secretary does not supervise, direct or otherwise advise candidates regarding the forms required or content included in any form filed with the Office of the City Secretary.
As a service to the public, the various forms that have been filed with the City Secretary’s Office are posted below.
For questions about the reporting requirements, please contact the Texas Ethics Commission at www.ethics.state.tx.us or sos.state.tx.us.
|| Campaign Treasurer
||Code of Fair Campaign Practices||Campaign Financial Reports|
|City Commissioner At-Large B|
|Erasmo Castro|| 1-20-17
|Rose M.Z. Gowen|| 1-30-17
|City Commissioner District 3|
|Joel Munguia|| 2-10-17
|Raymond P. Everitt|| 2-13-17
|City Commissioner District 4|
|Ben R. Neece||2-10-17||1-06-17|
|John L. Villarreal|| 1-24-17